Tuesday, August 01, 2006

@Command([NavigateNext])

First off, I'd like to apologize for still not having gotten back to everyone who has written me. The flood of email has been a bit overwhelming, and I've only recently had the wherewithal to download the messages and compose replies offline (thanks again, Devin).

Among the messages have been proposals for independent contract work, possible positions in and around Toronto, and positions elsewhere. There has been an awful lot to consider, and not just in the philosophical, "you've given me a lot to think about" sense.

A big part of what I had to consider was the simple mechanics of getting back to work. As I mentioned before, my life had taken a bit of a downhill slide, and there is a point below which it becomes exceedingly difficult, if not quite impossible, to recover gracefully. I live in a dark, dank and moldy 90-square-foot basement room in a building (and neighborhood) populated primarily by the drug-addled and the insane. People who are self-medicating in extreme excess, and people who are failing to medicate adequately. The noise, the fights and the screaming can get to be a bit much. Working at home is difficult, but alternating doses of headphones and earplugs make it possible, and the occasional escape to the local intarweb cafeteria is welcome respite. Living a normal scheduled life, though, is pretty much out of the question. I sleep when I can, but I haven't had a stretch of time that would have allowed a full night's sleep in some time, and even then the time wasn't at night. So getting up at a normal time and reporting to work during normal office hours would be hit-and-miss at best. I haven't been particularly successful trying lately.

The fix is a simple one. I just need to move. But moving is expensive and disruptive, no matter how one looks at it. Staying in Toronto puts me in a chicken and egg situation -- I'd need to make a considerable amount of money relatively quickly in order to finance a move that would make a regular job possible, but until I move I won't be able to keep the regular hours that would let me keep a regular job.

My current circumstances, then, are not exactly conducive to a conventional approach. So I've decided on the nuclear option. Killing all of the birds in the vicinity with a single, powerful stone. Relocation. A fresh start in a new environment. New country, new surroundings, new type of work, the whole nine yards.

And so I follow friend Nathan to South Africa. Not to Joburg, though; I'll be heading for Cape Town. And not to the same kind of job, nor to the same sort of pay scale. Heck -- I ain't Nathan, and neither are most of you. But I couldn't ask for a better situation, really -- one foot firmly in the realm of the uber code monkey, and the other in the realm of education. That is, assuming I can manage to complete the seemingly trivial tasks of getting a passport and visa done without learning I'm PNG in a country I'm pretty sure I haven't visiteed before. Oh, and I have to hope that my criminal background check doesn't reveal any new and hitherto unknown details from my blackout days. (The hardest part of a return to consciousness was always hearing about my escapades for the first time. I'm pretty sure I know everything I should know now, but you never know, ya know?)

If all goes according to plan, I'll fill in the rest of the blanks for you soon. I'd still be doing the Notes and Domino thing, but I'd be spending a lot more time doing the things that I do best. And that's already coming too close to saying too much for now.

16 comments:

STAG said...

http://www.globalspec.com/click/go?keyword=diceCR4


Have fun in South Africa. I want to work in Malta myself. But the roots are pretty solid in the ground here in Ottawa.

Adeleida said...

> Heck -- I ain't Nathan
Are you two going to take this outside...

Cape Town is the most beautiful place in the world. And Africa is amazing, it will embrace you and steal your heart before you can say Object variable not set. I wish you all the best.

Spanky said...

You are absolutely welcome. Capetown eh? Seems like one heck of an adventure, and a worthwhile one at that.

Sounds like you are getting ready to step out of the boat, in your own way.

Good luck my friend. I'll keep you in my prayers.

-Devin.

Ben Dubuc said...

Stan, all the best down there. I think it's going to be a lot better than your trip to Montreal (after all, if I've been working for that company a bit longer, I would have never hired anyone I knew).

Good luck, mate, and please buy a digital camera and get a photo blog so we can all appreciate the new area you'll be living in.

All the best ;D

Ben

Ed Maloney said...

Oh man... I knew that the Domino job market was bad, but I didn't think you'd have to leave the country again to find work!
Wishing you great luck and prosperity in your new adventure.

-Ed

Karen said...

Oh my god, you're moving to South Africa?! How fantastic is that?! I'm stunned, and insanely jealous. You totally deserve it though, Stan. Wow.

Stan Rogers said...

Ed, it's not that the market is bad. And I didn't HAVE to leave the country -- there's plenty in Toronto, Ottawa and Calgary. But the job itself, the instant change of situation, and the opportunity to travel were the best fit for me right now.

I think I'm going to like this a whole bunch.

Anthony said...

That's great news for those of who live in Cape Town! You're very welcome. Not only is it a beautiful place, but it's interesting, and challenging. I'd feel priviledged to help you find your feet should you require any advice or assistance. You've helped me a lot in the past.

Ed Brill said...

Sounds like what you need, Stan. When are you leaving Toronto? I might be up there again around 23 August.

Brian Benz said...

Great move! Fresh start, beginner's mind.

Stan Rogers said...

I'll probably still be here, Ed -- I have to wait for some paperwork to go through before I can take off. I'll let you know if I have to leave earlier than that. I am rather looking forward to meeting you.

"exgufsiz"? Still not djinanntonn'x, but we're getting closer.

Richard Schwartz said...

A fresh start and a great adventure, all in one, and I'm sure a leap of faith as well. I trust that it is indeed the best decision, because one of many things that is obvious about you, Stan, is that you do know yourself. Perhaps it wasn't always true, but it is now.

Curt Carlson said...

Good Luck to you Stan. Sounds like it will be quite a change.

Mark Vincenzes said...

Good luck on your new adventure Stan.

Rob McDonagh said...

Brilliant! Especially now that Adeleida has blogged about what you'll be doing. Sounds like a match made in heaven.

Joe Litton said...

Stan, This is wonderful news. Best wishes to you and to Autumn Leaf as the new adventure begins. I look forward to the blog posts. Cheers!