Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Back in business

Yes, folks, it has been a little while. A number of things have been happening of late that have sort kept me in a perpetually flummoxed state of mind, and I haven't really known what to say.

First off, for those who are keen to know, my back problems seem to be behind me now. (That seems to be a pun, but isn't really.) I've lost about fifty pounds along the way (only my socks and shoes still fit from last year's wardrobe), and I'm feeling capable, almost to the point of chipper. There's still a bit of work to go before I can say I've achieved chipperousity, but we're getting there. In the meantime, I'm ready to get back to work.

Therein lies the problem. IT hiring is a Process, and I was really expecting that part of things to go slowly. What I wasn't expecting is that it would be so damned difficult to get an interim job to generate some kind of income. Even after dumbing my resume down so it wouldn't look too scary, I've found that the McJob world isn't too excited about my return to the workforce. Now, I can understand that managers might think a fellow like me might not stick around to make a career of things, but come on — these places depend on staff turnaround to avoid paying benefits. That's what the McJob is all about.

Oh, well — at least I'm getting some nibbles on the developer contract front. With any luck at all, one of them will pan out soon.

11 comments:

Karen said...

Your back problems are behind you now. Ha! Love it.

STAG said...

Welcome back to the land of the blogging....

Cindy said...

I've missed you. Glad you're back. Since you have so much time on your hands, you can blog more often!!!

Jess said...

When Stan starts using words like "chipperousity", it has to be a good sign. Any post saying that you are feeling better is heartily welcomed. Yay!

Ben Poole said...

Excellent news Stan. Here's to "chipperousity"!

STAG said...

I am finally telling Summerside stories.

Anonymous said...

Stan, I have had severe, chronic back pain for 4 years now, but I seem to have found an exercise (yes, an exercise) that reduced my pain immensely (I can now sit without pain for the first time in years). The guy who discovered it thinks it helps in most back pain (I never thought it would help mine because the pain was deep down in the coccyx area). Email me if you are interested in more details. bernard..devlin_at_gmail..com

(obviously you know to remove the dupe dots in the above address)

Anonymous said...

What up Stan?

I've been trying to get that open webcalendar working, but...

We've moved it to the web server, but the documents are not showing up. Any ideas?

Frunny The Frog said...

Hi, i have great video about Pamela Rogers.I think Your site is great, and i see lot off great infos here.

Best regards from Mike
This is link to thiis video
Great Video of Pamela Rogers

memory foam mattresses said...

Glad to hear your back problems are behind you! lol Mine are behind me but not in a sense of time there just a pain in the behind!

JJ said...

I was hit by a car a few years ago and since then I have suffered a lot of lower back pain and back ache! I was on strong painkillers for awhile but then I was getting addicted to them so had to drop them before it got too bad. That was about a year ago now and since then I have been looking for alternate ways of relieving the pain and aching until a month ago I was struggling to find anything that helped but I managed to get hold of a memory foam and I finally got a good night’s sleep! It was great!