Monday, January 02, 2006

Better late than never, eh?

Well, here we are at the start of another year. Or, rather, here I am. I assume that most of the rest of you were more-or-less functional over the traditional days of reflection (those being December 31 and January 1). I was somewhat less than my usual self. Or at least I hope I was. If this is the new "usual", I'd just as soon one of you had the decency to have me put down.

All that aside, though, 2005 was not such a bad year. Sure, I spent most of it in a "foreign" city that I never quite got around to seeing, doing work that I found rather less than fulfilling, and topping it all off with a mental and physical breakdown. But in a real sense, that was the good part. It forced me to take a long, hard look at where I was and what I was doing, and when I did that, it was blindingly obvious that I was headed in the wrong direction.

2006 will be a little different. I have to take it easy for physical reasons, so I will have a bit of time away from the keyboard. I just might spend some of that free time interacting with humans for a change. That's something I've done far too little of for the last little while. And there's something to be said for the occasional moment of peaceful, quiet solitude. Not loneliness, Lord knows I've had more than enough of that to last me a long time, but time alone to reflect and digest. Maybe throw the occasional dab of paint onto a canvas*.

On the technical front, I've still got a couple of things to tidy up. One of the nice things about new, independantly produced software is that I can take the time to do things right. I'm not facing a promised delivery date or a bunch of investors who are wondering where their profits are, so I don't have to leave any code or architecture behind that is merely good enough for now. I hope that when it is released, those of you who are in a position to know the difference can tell that I've had the chance to refine my approaches.

Is the old dog going to learn any new tricks this year? Only if I have to. I don't know about you folks, but I've put a lot of time in over the years learning new technologies, techniques and environments. It's all been book learnin' and putterin', though. My day job has always been the same old same old -- formulas, LotusScript, 1.1.x-vintage Java when absolutely necessary (since one can't always count on the next Notes guy really knowing Java, we've had to limit it to things that really needed to use something like the java.net package). It's time to forget about learning new stuff and start using some of what I've already learned.

I'm ready to face the new year and the lessons and rewards it has to offer. And I wish you all a happy and rewarding 2006.

*I started a number of paintings last year, but they all became what we artists call "unfinished works". There is a limit to how long a painting can be left unworked before new paint stops adhering properly to old, and I'd hate to put anything out there, even as a gift, that's going to have to spend more time at the conservator's than on the wall.

9 comments:

Godders said...

Stan

I've been loosely following the Lotus forums, your input and your story for a few years now.

You are naturally talented, and a helpful and a nice bloke from what I can see. In fact - I've not read anyones posts with a more instinctive understanding of Notes!! It's a shame the industry doesn't have more people like you!

Best of luck with your new product, and your painting, and a happy new year to ya

Good luck

Godders

Logan Wick said...

I am glad to hear from you.

STAG said...

Happy new year.

Bill

Jess said...

Wow, Stan. Here's to settling (back) into your new (old) city. I hope this year is everything you want it to be.

And maybe if you wouldn't mind, you could take a piccie and post pictures of your paintings? Unfinished or not, it's better than nothing to visualize your style, at least. I'm sure I speak for everyone that we'd love to see them. :-)

Stan Rogers said...

We'll see what we can do, Jess.

Hmmmm.... "fmqlsxrw" today. "djinnantonyx" can't be too far away now.

Benoit Dubuc said...

All the best for 2006, but mostly health!!!

May 2006 bring good things on a professional and personnal level, and may you sell zillion copies of your book (can't wait to get it!!!).

I sure hope that life in Ontario will bring more good things than life in Quebec (yes, I am OK with that no ;)

Looking forward for your stories in 2006...

Ben

jonvon said...

i must second jess' request. paintings!

good luck this year brother. i hope it is better than the last one!

STAG said...

djinnantonyx

Hmmmmm....wasn't he a Gallic chieftan that magically came out of a lamp when it was being polished, and defeated the evil invading Romans? Or was it a bottle?

jcdtpimp...evil sprite, patron saint of Whiskey Girls.

Stan Rogers said...

It's a running gag tken from Douglas Adams' The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. In Adams' galaxy (or Universe, really) there was, quite coincidentally, a word or phrase that was essentially a homophone for "gin and tonic" in every language, culture and civilisation, no matter how alien. Adams was essentially an atheist, but if this were true, it would at least point to a higher consciousness permeating the universe. Perhaps it's just the remnants of a sneeze.