Wednesday, September 15, 2004

What's with IT people?

Okay, I may "do" computers for a living, but I'm absolutely convinced that I will never understand IT people. Today, I spent most of my day disconnected, not (as you might imagine) because I was at a remote office or otherwise prevented from plugging in, but because the networking gnomes decided to reduce the number of available IP addresses in the DHCP pool to a "musical chairs" number. Not accidentally, they did this by design. Pardon my ignorance, but if you have fewer IP addresses than you have people who need them, how can you expect them to get anything done?

I wonder if we set things up for our clients this way too...

2 comments:

Julian Robichaux said...

Well IP addresses, now that's whatcha call a scarce resource. I mean, you can't just give an IP address out to every Tom, Dick, and Harry who wants one. Nope, you need to save 'em and seal your extra ones up in a mason jar and bury it in the back yard. If your users think they can get an IP address any old time they want one, well then they'll think that they *deserve* them.

Better to make them appreciate what they have. Heck, when I was their age, we didn't have any of these networked IP addresses, all we had was slips of paper with numbers on them, and we carried them with us everywhere, and you know paper wasn't cheap back then...

- Julian

Stan Rogers said...

Harrumph. Luxury! etc....