Friday, September 10, 2004

What's it going to be, then?

Welcome to the world. There was me, that is Stan, and I keep here my messels and raskazzes, but you will find no folk warbles here, my droogs, for I am not that Stan Rogers. No, but I AM he that smots at Forms and Views and viddies lovely 'script. Real dobby 'script. Horrorshow veshches, the likes of which you will not find in all your books, O my brothers. So sit with like me a while, my droogs, and have a nice chasha of moloko while you sloosh to my raskazzes and viddy my webbish Domino eegras.

Like a lot of folks in the Domino world, I am an accidental programmer. I guess that's a common enough thing with people my age, since computing was not a game for Everyman when I was a kid. When I graduated high school, the Commodore PET and the original Radio Shack TRS-80 were about the extent of personal computing. There was the Altair as well (great for hobbyists, not for users), and Apple was just getting started with the Apple II about to come to the mass market. Apart from the few people who dreamed of lab coats and mainframes, programming for us old fogies was mostly a quick stab at 10 PRINT "HELLO WORLD" 20 END and a bit of PEEKing and POKEing. We understood well enough, though, and when macros came along we could write them. I had some adventures with Ada and assembly language for embedded systems while I was in the military, and took a turn at Lisp/Lingo. I created HTML for Lynx browsers to hold some online manuals when the web began. All of that was as adjuncts to my "real job".

Eventually, along came Notes and Formula Language. By the time I started using LotusScript and Java in anger, I had become an accidental programmer -- a real programmer who cared about what he was doing and why, but who had never actually planned to become one. No-one is more aware than I that I have much left to learn, but I'm getting there.

If you've heard of me, it's because I have something of a web presence. It started with the Notes.Net forum (now the developerWorks R4 & R5 Forum), where I skulked to learn, and eventually answered the few questions I could as payback. There are my comments in the Domino blogs, too, and that began with stealing code from Jake Howlett and sort of grew from there by following links. I'm probably a lot better known than I deserve to be -- there are a lot of folks who quietly get on with the business of creating code that is well beyond what I can do. If it matters to you at all, that's why I share what I know. I almost have to believe that the few really cool tricks I've figured out were meant to be someone else's aha! experience, and I'm hoping they find their rightful owners.

If you do find anything useful here, you're welcome to use it. One uses what one has to use, based on the resources available to him, though; you may notice that this blog is not running on Domino. That means that all you're going to get is snippets, and maybe a link to stuff stored elsewhere now and then. But you're going to have to wade through my other rantings as well. There is, after all, a price to everything in this life.

16 comments:

Jess said...

>>I'm probably a lot better known than I deserve to be

What are you smoking?!
Welcome to blogging Stan, you KNOW I've been trying to get this for awhile. It's only because I'm selfish, you know. As of now, it seemed that the only way to get you to write anything was to have a decent enough blog entry to make you want to comment. ;-)

Stan Rogers said...

Glad to have put myself in harm's way for the enjoyment of onlookers, Jess. Let's see how long this goes before I have to be spoon-fed ;o)

Ed Brill said...

I thought it was
20 GOTO 10
:)

Anonymous said...

Hi Stan,

As someone who has benefitted from your words (and lines) of wisdom before, congratulations on joining the blogging fold and I look forward to collecting a few more pearls in the future - Jim Jennett

Anonymous said...

Well as I live and breathe, a voice from the great white North!:-)

I will definitely be adding you to my blogroll tonite.

Christopher
http://www.controlscaddy.com/

Anonymous said...

Even though you have dev stuff on here (oh the hives) I will definitely add you since the humor and ranting matches mine.

IdoNotes

Anonymous said...

hi stan! welcome to the blogosphere. there was talk of creating a blog for you when we got together in orlando (or did jess already tell you that?). we were all going to post random stuff and call it stan's blog and then just see if you would show up and comment... luckily you beat us to the punch with a proper blog!

i've got a few of these i need to add to my roll, yours included. :-)

- jonvon
jonvon@gmail.com
http://jonvon.net

Jess said...

LOL, I forgot about that! Stan, I was telling everyone that if the gathering was at a location that was a little less, well, mind-bogglingly hot, that you possibly might have come.

That's how us giving you your own blog came up, with us feeding you topics so that you could post your replies. ;-)

Stan Rogers said...

That would have been better, now that I think of it. Oh, well, it's too late to turn back now.

Anonymous said...

Great Stan!

In your comments on Notes.net you are mostly very to the point in answering questions. Nice to see you can also write true prose!

laurens

Anonymous said...

Hurrah!

Ben Poole

Anonymous said...

How weird... I'd never thought that Burgess might have been influenced by Parlare, but it sure sounds like it...

Anonymous said...

Welcome, Stan! Our little blogging community is much richer for your joining! :)

Colin Pretorius

Catha said...

Calitoves: Stan's Space

Anonymous said...

Welcome, Stan! I don't see an RSS link here. Any chance you'll be adding one?

-rich (http://smokey.rhs.com/web/blog/rhs.nsf)

Stan Rogers said...

All blogger gives us is Atom. (I wish I had a place to use my own template...) -- you said that you've added Atom functionality to your blogregator, though. The link will be on my sidebar in minutes (duh, I fergot).