Monday, September 13, 2004

The next question is, "Why?"

Let's be absoltely clear about this from the very beginning: this is a vanity site. I hope to do a little bit of code dissemination here, but the real point of the excercise is to give a few eAquaintances a chance to virtually know me better. Oh, and I need to justify my attendance at any Domino community bloggers' get-togethers I may attend in the future. Why not run the site on Domino? Frankly, I don't have a credit card, and even the "free" Domino hosting options available require a credit card. I'm not sure about the reasoning behind that. That being said, I am blogging now, and those who prodded me into this (particularly Jess and Chris) have only themselves to blame.

I've been wondering about this whole blogging idea. (That would be breaking the rules if it weren't for the current climate of philosophising about the social implications of the blog.) I mean, those of you who cyberknow me have certainly found out by now that I'm rarely at a loss for words — heck, I've been known to prattle on for days at a time. Trouble is, all of that prattling is usually in response to something someone else has said. I can play the counselor, confidant, consultant or critic, but I'm not so sure that I can maintain anything like a consistent solo output. I'm like that in real (or is that "solid") life as well, you know. If you were to come visiting and expected me to start the conversation, we'd probably spend the whole time whittlin' on the front porch. If I had a front porch, that is.

You start a conversation,
you can't even finish it.
You're talking a lot,
but you're not saying anything.
When I have nothing to say,
my lips are sealed.
Say something once,
why say it again?
Talking Heads - Psycho Killer

That pretty much sums up my personal philosophy on yapping. Come to think of it, none of you knows for sure that the title of the song I've quoted doesn't make a fitting label for me. Maybe starting this adventure out with a twenty-one gun salute to the old ultra-violence was a giveaway? I'll let you decide.

3 comments:

Julian Robichaux said...

Yap on Stan... yap on...
Welcome aboard.

- Julian (@nsftools.com)

Jess said...

Again, welcome to our world, finally. :-)

And I have no problem playing 'cawfee tawk' and feeding you topics. Rhode Island is neither a road, nor is it an island. Discuss. :-P

And as for the psycho killer bit, who's to say that ALL programmers aren't, but too many hours spent banging their heads on their desk over compiler errors hasn't beaten it out of them?

Stan Rogers said...

@Julian: you may be sorry that you said that some day. I've got a lot of pent-up -- well, you can't really call it rage, it's more like hightened displeasure and annoyance. I will rant at will, but because I'm Canadian it will probably come across as polite objection most of the time.

@Jess: that's quite a state to be in ;o) I may use that yet.